Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mid-Terms Once Again

Hey all.

So, like I said in my last post, this is one exceptionally busy semester so time to post here is hard to find. But, I'm studying for mid-terms and needed a bit of a break so here I am. :)

This semester is flying by just like I thought it would. It's a lot of work and keeps me going non-stop, but it's all good. I'm enjoying my classes for the most part and the grades so far are good.

First major bit of news is that due to my 4.0 last semester, I was invited to join the Phi Theta Kappa honor society. I was surprised and delighted and really proud of myself. The organization has a lot of positive aspects to it and I'm looking forward to receiving all the official information and going to the official induction ceremony. Plus - they have scholarships that you can apply for and being a member is something you can put on a job application and resume that really makes an impact so....yay me. :)

I'm also proud of myself in that Liberal Arts Math is not, as I feared, kicking my butt so bad. The instructor took some warming up, but he's a nice guy overall and the class is going well. I've made Bs on all of my tests so....things are going okay there.

Acting is a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying it and the more the class goes on the more I like it. The instructor is really enthusiastic and fun and so far, so good. We have a big monologue assignment that is our mid-term so....that happens on Wednesday. Wish me luck. I feel really prepared so we'll see how it goes. :)

Biology and Biology lab are kind of weird. The instructor is elderly, as I said before, and has a bunch of medical appointments that he keeps canceling classes for. As such, it's really hard to get used to my schedule this semester because it changes from week to week. We're covering a lot (LOT) of information every class and seeing as I haven't had a science class of any kind in, oh, 20 years or so....it's keeping me on my toes to be sure. The sexist comments continue, as do his inappropriate stories and what-not, but as long as I pass the class, I don't care. We're starting up a lot of debates on hot-topic issues following spring break. Why we are doing this kind of thing in a science class I don't know, but whatever. I usually do very well in those types of settings so....I'm hopeful it will all go well....as long as the rest of my group doesn't screw me over. I never have good luck with group work.

Wellness class still irritates me, but it's just another class I'm trying to survive. I'm doing okay in it and I think it'll be okay overall. My Wellness plan for the semester was approved and basically all I have to do is try to eat three times a day and get to the pool three times a week and I'm golden. Of course, these things will be challenges as I usually only eat once a day and finding the time to get to the pool will take some work but....it's all good. I haven't participated in a single gym day yet and considering that they do not count for much for the overall grade, I may just call in sick those days altogether. We shall see.

Aside from all of that, I'm just focusing on moving forward with admittance to MSU. Since my mother is an alumni from there, I qualify for in-state instead of out-of-state tuition, which is a huge savings! My application is in for evaluation and I've sent off the requests for all of the transcripts. Now I just have to wait to have everything evaluated and see if they admit me. It will all depend on how much of my previous work they want to give me credit for. We shall see.

Anyhoo....that's the latest. I'm finding this whole back-to-school experience to be very interesting to say the least. I'm realizing a few things about myself through it.

1) I take a hella lot of notes. Probably too many, but I don't know what else to do.

2) I am appreciating the experience a lot more than I would have when I was 18 or whatever. College the first time for me when I was 16 and 17 was just about getting through the program, getting done, and moving on with life. Now I am able to really appreciate the educational experience and enjoy the learning.

3) Things have changed a LOT since the last time I took a science class. :)

4) If I give myself permission to not be so grown-up and tight-laced, a lot of things like my acting class are really fun. Choosing to take that class has been really good for me on a lot of levels.

5) I'm a lot more capable than I thought I would be and I am constantly surprising myself.

6) I don't give myself enough credit. I tend to doubt myself and my abilities a lot. I need to work on that.

So....the experience moves on. We'll see how mid-terms go and hopefully I'll hear from MSU soon.

Cheers all!

No comments:

Post a Comment