Friday, May 15, 2009

End of Week 6 and Mid-Term

Hi all.

Sorry I'm a bit late in getting on here and updating. Things have been kind of crazy and my brain has not been cooperating with me on functioning and deadlines and that sort of thing. Mother's Day weekend kinda threw off my study mojo too. But I do have lots to report.

So this was the end of Week 6 of classes. Week 6 was Mid-Term. I didn't have any mid-term tests or anything, just a quiz in English Comp. It's also, I think, a good time to take a look at where my grades stand and give a little review of what I think of my classes so far. So....without further ado:

Success Strategies
Overall grade so far: 115%
Week 5 discussion grade: 120%
Week 5 written assignment grade: 100%

The reason my percentages are so high is because you get extra points if you have everything turned in by Friday. Since this is my "bird" course, I tend to do all of that work first, and then I just have my follow-up posting which I do off and on throughout the week. Kinda dull. The course is boring and kind of a waste of money in my opinion. But I can see how it might help people coming to college with no higher educational background. That said, the instructor is okay, but he auto-replies to all posts with the same reply and that is kind of obviously phoning it in. That kind of stuff kinda bugs me, but - whatever. At least it's one class that I can do on autopilot this quarter.

English Composition
Overall grade so far: 98.53%
Week 5 discussion grade: not in yet!!!
Week 5 outline grade: 100%

I am enjoying this class. I love to write and I find that it is recharging my creative writing battery. Some of the assignments feel kind of lame, but they are still good for getting the creative juices flowing. The instructor doesn't engage much, but he puts up great notes every week and gives good feedback. Most of my elective options are writing classes and I hope to have him as an instructor again.

Intro to Computer Graphics
Overall grade so far: 100%
Week 5 application assignment grade: 100%
Week 5 discussion grade: 100%
Week 5 revitalization project grade: 100%

This class has been on one hand good and on the other endlessly annoying. The good: I like my instructor very much. She engages with the class, gives really great feedback, posts awesome lecture notes and you can tell she really likes teaching and wants to help us the most she can. The bad: I wish they had not changed this course and removed the software tutorials and tutorial books from the class. Most everyone is coming into these classes with no training in this software and it's been really hard to get the hang of things. But, overall, I'm enjoying the class and this is another instructor I would love to have further classes with.

Typography
Overall grade so far: 92%
Week 5 discussion grade: 100%
Week 5 written assignment grade: 90%

Typography - yeah. I think y'all are pretty clear on how I feel about this class. I am about five seconds away from having a serious discussion with the Academic Dean about this instructor. His attitude is extremely unprofessional, he pimps himself all the time, he has a really bad ego and I am not paying $430 a credit hour to kiss this guy's ass. Yes, in the work world you have to deal with douchebags. If I'm paying for a class, however, I expect my instructor to teach well, to actually do more than just decide whether or not he likes something and grade on that scale and not the lessons completed, and I expect more instruction and less egotistical asshattery. If I find myself having to deal with this instructor again EVER, I am going to have to have a serious talk with the school. Having worked in higher education and supported part-time and adjunct instructors, I know this guy's type. Most of them get fired for pulling the kind of crap he's pulling. Someone needs to be censured is all I'm saying. And also, he needs to stop posting and pimping his pedestrian naked woman art work that he thinks is so cutting edge and fly. Dude - that's the same shit everyone else is posting - you are not unique. Sorry. Ass.

So...that's the latest from there. Assignments this week were kind of standard. Standard stupid written assignment in Success Strategies. English Comp is our second expository essay that I have drafted, but need to go over again and polish up - I'll post it later. Computer Graphics was all about fonts this week and typography (irony!). Nothing really worth posting, just playing with fonts and then typing up a report on how we plan to redesign our final project annual report. Typography was doing a formal proposal for our final project. I decided to do what I want to do and what will be fun for me, and also play with an idea for a company I hope to have some day so - - I chose my fictional company to be a feminist film studio. Asshat instructor should love that. :) I made up a little letterhead and wrote a business letter proposal. I'd post it but it has personal info on it so....no. :) Love ya Internets, but not that much.

So....that's the latest for this week. New assignments should post here in about 15 minutes and I may just stay up and start classes tonight as I'm wide awake. We shall see. I may post this, take my shower, and feel like passing out. :) Like I said, once I have my essay fully polished, I'll post it here, which should be some time tomorrow. Hope y'all are having good weeks. Take care and be back later! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment