Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SHAZAM!!!!!

I'm just....wow....jaw on the floor here. I received my grade back in Typography on my proposal from last week and....I got 100%! 100%! On the discussion and my proposal both! My overall percentage in that class is now over 93%! I'm just....wow. Didn't see that coming! I'm excited! Elated! And also - a little weirded out - but that's okay. :)

For my English Comp paper from last week? - 100%! He basically said it was awesome (which it was) so...yay me! 100% on the discussion in that class too. No grade back yet on the quiz.

Success Strategies for last week - 100% on my written assignment, no grade back for the discussion yet.

Intro to Comp Graphics turned up 100% for discussion so far, still waiting for grades on my application assignment and my final project assignment.

So....awesome grades for last week! Yay me! :)

This week, for English Comp we had to write a persuasive letter to a city council lobbying either for or against a book ban. Well, I'm totally against banning books so.....here's my letter:



Dear Council Members:

The American politician and writer Clare Boothe Luce once said, “Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but unlike charity, it should end there.” Truer words were never spoken.

Certain amongst our city’s citizens have voiced concern that their children should not be exposed to the content of certain books in our city’s public library. As parents, I agree that they are single-handedly responsible for raising their children to their own ethical and moral standards, and I applaud their determination. However, not everyone holds the same beliefs in our society, and America’s foundation as a nation is one of freedom of thought, expression, and word.

Though I admire the zeal of the parents supporting the book ban, I cannot agree with them or endorse their request. I am a regular patron and supporter of our public library, and am also a fan of the books on this proposed ban list. I am not a child that needs policing, and I take offense to anyone trying to determine what a person in our free society thinks, reads, or learns.

The concerns of these parents can be handled in a very simple way, one that does not require a vote on curtailing the rights of others. If they do not wish their children to be exposed to these books, then they need to establish that regulation at home, not try to force it on the rest of this city’s citizens.

As an educated individual with a passionate love for our country and the freedoms for which it stands, I cannot fathom how anyone could vote to turn back time and deny freedom to others in this society. Censorship at its most basic level is as un-American an action as it is possible to take. We are not in some third-world, clerically patrolled nation that needs some parental authority to tell us what to think, where to go, or what to do. We are free, intelligent Americans who can determine best for ourselves and our families as individuals what is best for us. We do not need a collective to determine what is fit for us to learn and read and what is not.

I sincerely hope that you vote not to ban access to great literature that educates, informs and entertains on the basis of archaic concerns from a radical few looking to curtail the freedoms our forefathers fought for us to enjoy. I hope you choose the right path and vote to keep our public library free and accessible to all who wish to learn and absorb knowledge in all its varied and wonderful forms.

Thank you and have a nice day.


Sincerely,



I think that's a pretty good submission for that assignment. :) For Success Strategies we are doing a stupid topic cubing thing that is annoying the hell out of me. For Intro to Computer Graphics, we have to redesign a movie poster using the 7 essential elements of design. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding a crappy poster to redesign. Seriously, they should be good and representative before anyone lets them be released as promos for their movie, right? So....that's still a work in progress. For Typography, my business card and letterhead for my final project are due this week.

So....that's what's on tap for this week and grades so far. Marvel with me at that Typography one, won't you? ;) Cheers and back later with new posts!

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaay for unexpected good grades!

    For bad movie posters, well...there's a lot, a whole lot, that aren't good. Like after blowing millions on production, they decided they didn't really need to pay graphic designers. Here's a few!
    http://www.filmcynic.com/movies/worst-posters/

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the props on the grades and the link to the bad posters. Unfortunately, I have not seen a single one of those movies, so it's hard to design a poster when you have no idea about the film. I found another couple of things I might be able to redo, however. We also have the option of mocking something up too. We shall see what I come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete