Thursday, May 7, 2009

Final Week 4 Results

Hello again all!

My final grade for Week 4 just came in from my Intro to Computer Graphics class. And - it's 100%! Woot! You know, the more I participate in these classes, the more I can see that there really do need to be more women actively involved in the design fields. I am totally and completely on the same wavelength with my Intro to Computer Graphics instructor, a woman. I am on completely opposite wavelength with my Typography instructor, a man. This has all really opened my eyes up to the facts of how differently women and men see things and how it really is imperative for there to be more women in the industry creating content that specifically speaks to women. That's my goal anyway. :)

So....our assignments for Intro to Computer Graphics this week were a discussion, which is done, and choosing the inner pages of our annual report that we are revising. I chose the CEO pages and some pages of data that I want to redesign into graphs - I love doing graphs. :)

Our last assignment for this week had to do with using grids in design. Personally, this was completely new and interesting to me. I got/had to learn a new program for these assignments - InDesign - and I kind of enjoyed it. It was a little bit frustrating, but the practical applications are numerous for publishing. Very cool. (See how quickly once I get the jist of things something I loathe can become something I love?) :)

Anyhoo....our assignment was to do two different grid layouts using text of our choice and sparkling it up with graphics if we wanted. I used my expository essay on how Hawaii became a state for my text and picked up some graphics on Photobucket for the pictures. The first layout I did was graphical and kind of looks like something you'd see as a feature in a magazine. I did it in two-column style and it's one-and-a-half pages. The second layout I did was not graphical and is just your standard magazine article "filler"-type piece. I did it as a three-column piece with no graphical elements. So....without further ado - here they are! (I think they came out kinda cool.). :)











So, there ends Week 4's grades and Week 5's assignments. I have already moved on to Week 6's reading and we are getting our projects for Typography introduced when new lessons post tomorrow - that should be fun (not). Also - our first drafts of our final paper for English are due in two weeks so I'm getting ahead on my reading to get prepared to write that. We are also going to have another expository essay to write this week. No required reading for Success Strategies, just dorky stuff on academic honesty. We're actually studying a typography lesson in Intro to Computer Graphics this week and working on choosing the typefaces we're going to use for our redesign final projects.

That's the latest. Hope you're enjoying the fun along with me. It will be interesting to see how the grades shake out for this week's assignments, especially Typography. :) Thoughts? Leave 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment